I'm a Full Time Follower

This week my wife Danielle and I were watching the DVD of the book IT by Craig Groeschel. Have I happened to mention that I absolutely loved that book?? And the DVD made it even better... 9 short 10 minute sessions to watch with your leadership team and then go through the discussion questions to grow and strengthen the team. LOVE IT!

One of the sessions brought me to tears... it was when Groeschel confessed that at one point in his ministry he realized that he had become a FULL TIME PASTOR and a PART TIME FOLLOWER OF JESUS! He was more concerned that his preaching would connect with people and grow his church then bringing glory and honour to God. What an incredibly humbling confession (just another reason why I greatly respect and admire this guy!)

The reason for the tears is probably because at different times in my ministry I have felt exactly the same way. In ministry it is SOOOO easy to get swept up in the crazy busyness of it all... with so many different ministries to over see and new ones starting up... I've found myself easily confused and losing focus on what the priority should be.

My first and MOST IMPORTANT priority is that I am not a leader... I'm a FOLLOWER! I'm a follower of Jesus first! And following him affects my relationship to my incredible wife, my fantastic kids, my wonderful church, my great family and awesome friends. Like it says in 1 Corinthians 1:11 "Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ"... that's the kind of man I want to be.

If people actually think that I'm a qualified leader it's only because I'm trying more and more each day to be an obedient follower.

I never want to be thought as a full time pastor... I want to be a known as a full time follower of Jesus who happens to be a pastor. So if that gets you to follow me as I follow Christ then that's pretty cool! :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practical Atheist

Revitalized Pastors and Leaders

Captain America Rocks!!