Everything I Need to Know, I Learned in a Pandemic

 

12 months! It has officially been twelve months, one full year, since COVID-19 showed up in my city. This time last year, as a church community, we were laughing on Sunday mornings as we simply closed down our free coffee and did elbow bumps to greet people at the door.

On March 16th, 2020 we moved everything online.

And we have been operating that way ever since.

To say that this year has been unprecedented truly is an understatement of the magnitude of what people have been dealing with. This year wasn't simply crazy or unprecedented. It was hard. Really hard. Hard on seniors. Hard on families. Hard on couples. Hard on singles. Hard on kids. Hard on teens. Hard on small businesses. Hard on mental health. Hard on physical health.

It has been hard on our very souls.

And it has been particularly hard for those who feel called to care for the souls of the people around them. How can we possible care for others when we ourselves are struggling with the very same issues?

I have a confession to make: I have always, always felt like I was not good enough for the roles I've been called into. Maybe it's low self-esteem, maybe it's doubt. Maybe I need to explore that deeper with my councillor one day. Regardless, with so many responsibilities in life, many times I feel like I'm coming up short. I should be a better husband, or father, or son, or brother, or friend.

This is definitely true in my role as a pastor. 

Pastoral ministry, honestly, can be pretty easy when life is good. When no one is sick, no marriages are in trouble, the church is growing, there is funds in the bank... in those instances our skills and talents can pretty much carry us.

But in times of crisis! Oh Boy! In those times, you dig DEEP down into your faith. You pray like never before. And you're willing to do anything short of sin to see people living a victorious life in Christ. You study, you learn, and you grow!

This has been twelve months of crisis. It has required a deep look at myself, my role, and the role of the entire church. These twelve months have challenged faith, methodologies, and traditions. They have forced challenging conversations, and reevaluating things considered unchangeable. They have been months of constant learning and listening for God's still, small voice.

Here are three things that I have learned during this pandemic, that I knew in my HEAD, but have become a true reality that has forever changed me.

I'm not the most important person in the building

Now, obviously we all know this. We believe the church is the body of Christ and every single person is incredibly important to the full functioning of the body. 

However, in our modern day, evangelical circles, we do tend to put the preacher on a higher pedestal then we should. We say it's not about us, but there is a feeling deep, deep down in our hearts that really like the praise that comes from a "That was a great sermon, pastor!" comment.

I strongly believe in the importance of a good, biblically based preaching ministry. I believe whole-heartedly in the importance of good, exegetical preaching. I just don't think it's the most important thing happening in the building anymore.

Let me rephrase that. I just don't think that 100, 200, 500, or 1000 people passively sitting listening to me exegete a passage for 53 minutes is the most important thing happening in the building.

The pandemic has reinforced the importance of Ephesians 4 for me. 

So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

Yes, my preaching ministry is a method for building people up in their faith. But we as church leaders have known for decades that simple attendance on Sunday mornings, listening to sermons week after week, doesn't create the life transformation in people we'd hope for. 

My primary role as a pastor is to preach and care for people in such a way that doesn't make them dependant on me. My role isn't even just to get them through their current crisis. My role is to partner with the Holy Spirit to see people BUILT up and EQUIPPED so that they find their ministry and service.

The pandemic reminded me that preaching, while incredibly important, it is not the number one disciple making method we have. We have the example of Jesus himself. He taught, he spend time with his friends, he equipped, he sent them out to serve. I have spent far more time in the past 12 months doing that then preaching to the crowds. And it feels REALLY good!

Church is not about my preferences

I love church! I really do! My preference is BIG and LOUD church! 

My family and I had the opportunity to visit one of the Life.Church campuses down in the United States before the pandemic started. It spoke to all of my worship love languages! Big auditorium. Big stage. Big lights. Big worship team. Big technology. Big lights.

My heart flutters a little bit just remembering it!

In the 10 years that I've been pastoring Greenbelt, I've never tried to turn it into my preference. I've known that church is not about my preference.

But the pandemic has taught me something... I actually have a preference! And when I don't get it, I don't like it.

I like the room to be full of people! I don't like a room to feel empty. It's not about the number of chairs, but the percentage of chairs filled that was important to me. If a room sits a hundred, anything below 40 feels empty.

I've talked to a number of pastor friends over the past twelve months. I've learned that I'm not alone in this preference. When a room is empty... ugh! It's so hard to preach!

The pandemic has reminded me of something incredibly important about preaching the Word of God. Even if a room is complete EMPTY of people, something is ALWAYS listening!

In Ephesians 6 we read:

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

 When we preach Jesus and Jesus Christ crucified, we are proclaiming a truth that spiritual rulers, authorities, and the powers of darkness does not like! I heard Mark Clark call it "preaching prophetically over our city." LOVE THAT!

My preference of the big, filled room, may one day be a thing of the past. What if a pandemic forever changes the landscape and we begin to see less and less large gatherings of people? What if small churches of less than a few dozen becomes the requirement? 

That doesn't stop the mission of God even though it may not be my preference. I will keep on preaching in every empty room I can, doing battle in the heavenly realms to see people set free!

My Ultimate Hope is Jesus

I have been hoping for many things over the past twelve months. I hoped that schools would reopen. I hoped that my local hobby/comic store would survive. I hoped politicians make the right decisions. I hoped that vaccines will start rolling out faster. I hoped no one I love gets sick. I hoped I don't get sick!

While those are all good things, they are not my one, TRUE, hope! 

My hope is in the one who died for my sins. My hope is in the one who will one day wipe away every tear, who will take away all suffering and pain, and will one day will welcome me into his eternal presence.

“Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!”

 I will continue to trust, with wisdom and discernment, where Jesus is doing a new thing in his church. And I will keep my hope focused on him.

How about you?

What have you been learning over the past twelve months? How have you grown and been challenged? I would love to hear from you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practical Atheist

Revitalized Pastors and Leaders

The Worship of our Worship