Movember: Growing a Moustache for a Great Cause

Sometimes what starts as a laugh turns into something more...

To be honest, when I first learned about Movember yesterday, I chuckled and thought that was it. But after praying about it and chatting with my family, I'm totally sold on this and excited to be a part of it!

The 'Mo', slang for moustache, and November come together each year for Movember.

Each Movember men are challenged to change their appearance and the face of men's health by growing a moustache. The moustache is our ribbon, the means by which we raise awareness and funds for prostate cancer. Much like the commitment to run or walk for charity, my commitment is to grow a moustache for 30 days. Funds raised benefit Prostate Cancer Canada.

Why am I doing this? To be honest, and it's kind of sad to admit this, when it comes to health issues I'm incredibly ignorant. Even though I serve as a pastor and come along side people in times of need, I'm totally clueless on medical issues and things like that. I knew nothing about prostate cancer at all. I've not even given my own personal health much thought past trying to exercise more and eat less poutine.

I’m doing this because 4,400 men die of prostate cancer in Canada each year affecting kids and families and one in six men will be diagnosed during his lifetime.

I'm doing this because Jesus calls us to be an example. And I felt I should be an example in this area of men's health.

I've also thrown the gauntlet down and have challenged other Canadian pastors to jump on board and to join our team. I'm looking forward to connecting with other Ottawa pastors and pastors across the country as we rock awesome moustaches for a great cause. If you are a pastor and want to join the team, email me and I'll send you more information.

If you would like to sponsor me in growing my moustache for prostate cancer then click this link HERE.

I'll be blogging my moustache journey here on my blog with pictures and video updates. Please prayerfully consider support this... or at least praying for all the Canadian men and families affected by this form of cancer!

For more information about Movember Canada click HERE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practical Atheist

Revitalized Pastors and Leaders

The Worship of our Worship