DC Universe Online - First Impressions

It's been awhile since I've blogged about anything Geeky... guess I've been spending way too much time doing house renovations :)

This past weekend I picked up DC Universe Online, the new massively multiplayer online (MMO) game based on the super heroes and villains from DC Comics. These heroes and villains include Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Joker, Catwoman and many other that I've loved for years!

I've only been playing it on and off over the past few days... but I thought I'd share my initial thoughts of the game. So here they are in no particular order.

First off, I just LOVED the Collector's Edition of the game. Since I was trading in a number of my used games at GameStop, I actually had enough trade in credit to pay the full amount of the Collector's Edition. I've never bought a collector's edition of a game before... just never saw any value in playing a extra $20-30 for a game. For this one, I'm sure glad I did! The collector's box comes with this great statue of Batman and it looks fantastic in my office at the church (feel free to poke in any time and check it out). It also came with a couple of comic books and a great book showing the artwork that went into the design of this game. As a comic geek who loves great superhero art, all of those items where a big hit with me.

I have NEVER gotten into an MMO game before. I did try to play World of Warcraft a while back... but it bored me to tears spending most of my time just walking back and forth between different quest locations. So I guess, as a complete newbie to the world of MMO games... some of the assumptions were lost on me and I had some initial early difficulties.

For example, I found no where in the documentation that comes with the game what the different between a PvP and PvE server. Now, just a simple Google search taught me that they mean Player vs Player and Player vs Environment... but you think they could have put that simple instruction in the manual and save me having to find my laptop.

I did have a REALLY hard time installing the game. It took almost 5 hours from beginning to end... now... I get that I was installing on the first Sunday that the game was available... and that Sony was having a bunch of server problems that night... so I can forgive that :)

Building my superhero was quite fun. I thought the interface was pretty easy to use. Only took me about 15 minutes to create my hero and then I jumped right into the game.

I find the graphics and sound to be really good. Not the best I've ever seen or heard... but it's really good and captures the comic book feel that I love.

So far I'm greatly enjoying the story. Nothing like fighting off Brainiac and Gorilla Grodd in the first few missions.

Overall my first impression of the game is quite positive. Will I play it long term... not sure. But I'll definitely be enjoying the 30 days and a couple of extra months from my PlayStation Network account that has some extra funds in it :)

If you want to find me and battling evildoers with me, I'm on the Redemption server and my hero's name is Shepherd.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practical Atheist

Revitalized Pastors and Leaders

The Worship of our Worship