Thriving in the Current Ministry Marathon


Back in mid-March, the church ministry landscape completely changed. When churches went online, the hope was to be back in-person in our buildings in a few short weeks for Easter.

That didn't happen.

While the hope was a quick return to normal, I just felt deep down in my spirit that I needed to prepare for a marathon. This disruption to our way of doing ministry wasn't going to be a short sprint. This was going to be a long, hard, challenging season. One that would push many leaders, myself included, to the wall of breaking. 

Even for churches who are back to in-person gatherings, the challenges of these days continue. Lots of time, energy, and resources are needed to manage the in-person and online ministry simultaneously.

Around Easter 2020 I began to introduce the language of Marathon Strategy to our staff and leaders. I began to ask the question "What do we do when more and more of our church hit the wall? And what do we do when it's our staff and are leaders who hit the wall?"

The problem we have been facing as ministry leaders is that it is really hard to train for a marathon race while you are running it!

I have definitely felt that during the past several months. While I strongly believe that there are many ministry pivots and permanent changes pastors and church leaders should be making in our ministries, I also believe even more in the importance of a strong walk with God. It is only this closeness with our Heavenly Father that will give us the strength and endurance to run this race to the finish line.

I was recently reading an article on how to train for a marathon. No clue why. I have ZERO intention of ever running in one. But the four training principles in that article directly relate to our spiritual training as Christians. Let's look at that together.

Base Mileage

This is all about building up the miles that you run overtime. You can't just wake up one day and start running 50 miles (well, maybe some super healthy people can!) Running 3 to 5 times a week, slowly increasing the distance trains the body for the length of the marathon.

Too often in our spiritual journey, we hit a comfortable paced. We're happy with the relationship we have with God. Nothing bad is going on. But nothing is challenging us to pursue God more.

The problem with that mindset is that we don't read it anywhere in the Bible. The apostle Paul specifically talks about in his letter to the Corinthians:

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified. - 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

As a Lead Pastor in my church, it is very easy to get comfortable. Once we figure out what works in our ministries we can easily ride on that success. We begin to learn how many prayers and other spiritual disciplines can bring about the results we hope to see, both in our lives and in the church.

But I never want that to satisfy me. I want MORE of God. I want to hear his voice. I want to know his presence. I want to live a life that is bearing much fruit.

So I need to intentionally stretch myself.

The way I do this is by trying new spiritual disciplines, reading, and serving in a new way.

There are some disciplines that are very natural to me. Others, not so much. But I read up about them and learn how they have blessed others. Then I try them in my life.

I read books from people who I disagree with, both in theology and ministry methodology. There are things I can learn about God outside of my tradition and comfort.

And I volunteer in areas that make me uncomfortable. For me, preaching comes easily. It is one of my strong gifts. Volunteering weekly to connect with people new to our country is hard! It stretches me and blesses me every time I get out of my comfort.

The Long Run

While training for the marathon, it is recommended to do one long run a week. This pushes your body to adjust to longer distances.

For me, this is done by setting aside a longer, intentional time of prayer. And this one is the HARDEST for a guy like me! My brain is always go, go, go! I always feel like I need to produce and work!

But what I need most is time with my Father! Just like Jesus did.

Yet the news about him spread all the more, so that crowds of people came to hear him and to be healed of their sicknesses. But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed. - Luke 5:15-16

Before the pandemic, I spent a lot more time on this. I honestly think that is one of the key reasons this season hasn't fried me completely out. It has been less and less over the past 7 months and I can begin to feel the effects. Time to get back to training in the Long Run.

Speed Work

This is the practice of tempo work and intervals to increase your cardio capacity. You can run a marathon if you can't breathe!

The way I have been doing this spiritually is to keep my lists really short. What does that mean? It means I turn to God quickly with all the worries this pandemic brings. 

By my nature, I am a worrier. I stress. I lose sleep. I get an eye twitch. 

But in order to breathe I need to quickly and regularly turn to God.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4:6-7

The pandemic has stretch so many of us. It has created such turmoil. But our Heavenly Father is a God of peace! He brings peace to our minds and to our hearts when we regularly give our worries to him.

Rest and Recovery

And finally, to train for a marathon, it is strongly encouraged to ensure you get adequate rest to prevent injuries or mental burnout.

We would ourselves spiritual when we don't implement this into our lives.

At the beginning of the pandemic, I was working 7 days a week. Sometimes that would include 12 hour days! There was so much work to do in order to move our ministries online. And we were a church that had a good groundwork in online ministry. I can't even imagine how hard it was to start from scratch for other churches.

Even though there is so much work to do, we are not doing our church family any favours by not taking care of ourselves spiritually and getting the rest we need. The way I do this is by keeping Sabbath.

Then he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.” -  Mark 2:27-28

I need spiritual rest! Sabbath-keeping has allowed me to add this rhythm into my busy life. From Friday evening to Saturday evening I step away from ministry responsibilities. I trust that God has it. I trust that the church can actually survive without me checking my email every 15 minutes.

I spend that time with my family. I do some projects around the house. We play some board games. I read a book. I listen to worship music. I enjoy the blessings that I have in my life that have been given to me by my Father.

The Current Marathon

Trying to train for a marathon while running a marathon is tough! But praise be to God that it is not impossible.

The challenges of ministry are not going to be solved overnight. By all evidence, the marathon will continue for quite some time.

My hope is that post encourages you in your marathon. I'd love to hear how you are drawing closer to God during this season of ministry. 

Let's encourage one another to run the race!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practical Atheist

Revitalized Pastors and Leaders

The Worship of our Worship