It OFFICIALLY Begins! DDPY Instructor Certification

 

I did it! I actually did it!

After months of thinking and praying about it... after changing my mind a dozen times... I have finally committed and signed up to become a Level 1 DDPY Certified Instructor!

It may seem a little weird for a church pastor to pursuit such a goal. I'm not a fitness instructor. I'm not intending in leaving ministry to become a fitness instructor. So why do it? That is what I want to write about in this blog post. Maybe, just maybe, it will also inspire you in your goals.

Pass On What You Have Learned

In the movie Return of the Jedi, as Jedi Master Yoda laid in his bed dying, he told his student, Luke Skywalker, to "Pass on what you have learned." This has actually been a fundamental part of my entire life. In school, in my career in the computer industry, and especially in my role as a pastor, I am always about helping other people through what I learn.

I love serving people that way. I love learning a new skill or idea and being able to share that with someone else. It's not about the praise or the recognition. It just makes me feel alive! 

My DDPY journey over the past 13 has been life-changing! I know a lot of people drop that phrase a lot, but for me, it really is the truth. As I was approaching the age of 50 I began to notice my health deteriorating quicker and quicker. My back pain was becoming unbearable. Most mornings I would wake up exhausted because of the pain. At the rate it was going, I thought, if God ever blessed me with grandkids, my back would be too sore to pick them up.

I dug out my old DDPY DVDs. My wife, Danielle, had bought them for me years earlier thinking I would enjoy it. I did. But I was never able to implement it into our crazy lives.

The lockdowns during the pandemic gave me TONS of time to get exercising. Within a few months, I noticed my back pain completely going away! Between my wife's prayers and the regular exercise, I felt like I was a young man again!

Because I have been so blessed by this journey and since I have learned so much, I want to continue learning at the Instructor Level and pass that on to others who might be dealing with similar health issues.

A Heart For Pastors and Leaders

I have a huge heart for mentoring the younger generation. I have a huge heart for anyone who serves in church leadership, whether as a pastor, other staff, or volunteer.

Sadly, I meet a lot of church leaders who feel like they just don't have the time or the resources to focus on their own health. They care so much for others but become sick mentally and physically as they don't make the time to care for themselves.

A few years ago at our Fellowship National Convention, the leadership presented an initiative to help pastors and leaders focus on their health. Through data from our benefits provider, they had learned that pastors and their families are in rougher shape. More and more pastors are on anti-depression and anti-anxiety medicine (I'm one of them!). Many are out of shape and do no regular exercise. 

I don't what our Fellowship ever did about this. I remember them giving away a FitBit to someone who lost a lot of weight. It seemed to stop there. I'd like to help do my part for my brothers and sisters in ministry.

I'd like to help more leaders on their health journeys using DDPY. The beauty of this program is that anyone can do it. There is no equipment. There is no running, jumping, or anything that impacts joints. Just 20 minutes, three times a week can make a world of difference.

Bless Our Community

And finally, I'd love to be able to bless people in our church and in our community by offering some DDPY sessions in-person and online. If I can do this program then ANYONE can! I would love to show as many people as possible the importance of being healthy in mind, soul, and body. When one part suffers the whole person suffers. I can help with the soul. One day I'll be able to help with the body as well.

Interested?

Over the next few months, I need to complete 100 practice hours as a part of the certification. I also need to do 20 hours of practice teaching. That will be 40 thirty-minute sessions. I'm going to be doing this online for now. That's a lot of slots I'll need to fill.


If you have been curious about DDPY, or if you want to begin improving your fitness, just drop me an email. I'm going to put together a mailing list to let people know when I'll be getting started. Email me that you are interested and I'll include you on the list to receive the updates.

Looking forward to an exciting journey ahead!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practical Atheist

Revitalized Pastors and Leaders

Captain America Rocks!!